Sunday, August 27

First week of college

So, here I am sitting in my apartment on Sunday. I just finished listening to a sermon describing the coming of the Antichrist, and Jesus, and the rapture. Kill me now. I am a student at The Master's College, officially, and I am way out of my element. My second night here at college was spent getting torn apart by angry Dispensationalist dorm mates. They interrogated me about my baby-dunking (why can’t they understand that we pour the Holy Spirit, we don’t take a bath in Him, because that is just rude), my Jewish Catholic view of the OT (that we actually obey the law of God), and especially my disbelief in the rapture or all the tribulation nonsense. But regardless, everyone loves me and I love them, if I could just find a nice Paedobaptist chick I would be set. I am the only Presbyterian in the entire school. How messed up is that?
So, besides the most glaring difference between us “baby-dunkers” and them Baptists, I have had the hardest time trying to show them how the “last days” started with Christ. They cannot even comprehend that Biblical fact. And I will be honest, I don’t exactly have a Christmas list of Bible verses to toss out to “prove” my point like these Baptists do, but I have some solid Biblical concepts to defend my positions although I was very humbled when I was devoured theologically by my dorm, so so humbled. I was a forced member of Baptist “Fight Club” until 3 in the morning that night. But overall it has been a life changing experience. And the kids at this college, all 1400 of us, love each other a lot. I have been shown Christ’s love more so in the last week by the students here, then by any student at Covenant for the 13 years I attended there (I still miss Covenant so much though). With God’s use of my brothers here, I and many others have quit smoking and we don’t even miss it. There is a great multitude of countries and cultures here. 45 countries are represented at this college. I have found friends who listen to straight edge, hardcore, emo, rap, country, electronica, and dance. I have friends who can two-step and mosh like no one I have ever seen. And I have friends who can skank to Five Iron Frenzy’s Super Chuck, and make you roll on the floor laughing, just a superb bunch of guys who love the Lord and love their neighbours.
I really am enjoying myself here. Classes start tomorrow and I am so excited. Comment some arguments and Scripture I could use to defend postmillennialism if you wouldn’t mind, Josh. I think you are the only postmil who reads this. Especially give me some advice on how to talk about the rapture and the AntiChrist.
Keep checking back here for college updates. It is also very cool that the girl to guy ratio here is 55 % girls 45% guys. It’s just that they’re all so Baptist, sigh*

3 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger Dave said...

quit smoking and don't even miss it? pfffkraghahahahaha. good luck with college though, man. i hope it's spectacular for you.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Josh's Loving Wife, aka Angela Brisby said...

Hey Nathan,
I'm sure Josh will comment as well, but if it will help, I did a short series on my blog to explain to a friend of mine why I am postmil. Feel free to take anything you need from it. Glad to hear you're making friends. Be sure to let us know if you do find that paedo-chick you're looking for. Take care!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Josh Brisby said...

Nate,

Good to hear from one of my most favorite students!

I am glad you are enjoying college. For proofs for the postmil position, it of course goes much deeper than texts. We all have grids and paradigms through which we view Holy Scripture. I would first refer you to my wife's able defense on her blog, www.angelabrisby.blogspot.com , but book-wise I would refer you to Keith Mathison's Postmillennialism: An Eschatology of Hope. I usually ask amils and premils questions chronologically. Why don't you e-mail me or call me and we can discuss this in a much deeper way. You have my #, and my e-mail is solaschristos@yahoo.com.

Now, as your former teacher I must say I care for you, so I would like to offer some hopefully helpful advice with regards to your time at Master's.

First, don't let the school get you down. I probably hate dispensationalism more than you do, and I had to attend a classic dispensationalist college. At least the college you attend champions Lordship salvation. Angela and I, on the other hand, had to attend a college which taught and promoted the carnal Christian heresy. It is fine to be vexed in your spirit about certain disturbing things, but don't let it bring you to the point of apathy. Also, remember when you listen to lectures from your professors that you are a student in their classroom. Be careful, even as Greg Bahnsen has rightly said, to make sure you don't overstep your boundaries (as I think I may have a few times in college). Be respectful, and ask questions. Do not directly or indirectly challenge their authority.

Also, you attend a college that is five-point Calvinist. That is a huge blessing! One of the professors I had in college was strongly against Calvinism, and it even brought me to tears one day. I love and appreciate the work of John Macarthur and Master's College. Sure, they have things that bother me, such as their denial of Christian liberty and their pretrib premillennialism, but God is sanctifying His elect. He may or may not decide to use you while you are there. What is more, you may be surprised as to what you come out believing after you graduate that college. Who knows? You and I don't even agree on the proper subjects of baptism, but we delight in the fact that we are brothers. Remember to dialogue in love and with much patience and understanding. Above all else, listen to what your friends have to say. If they know you truly care about them as people and are truly interested in their views, you'll be surprised at the influence you can have.

Take heart my brother! When I entered what is now San Diego Christian College, I had a group of friends that were opposed to Calvinism. When I graduated, about eight or so of them had become Calvinists. The Lord uses weak vessels like us. He will bring us all to the unity of the faith, as Ephesians 4 promises.

I hope this was helpful. Please stay in touch and feel free to e-mail me or call me at any time. I would love to get together for coffee sometime if we're ever in the Los Angeles area.

In Christ Alone,
Josh Brisby

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

> >